Westmoreland Events: Backyard Birdwatching Workshop, Turkey Dinner, Comedy Night
• The Norwin Alliance Church will be hosting a men’s pizza and wing night at 6:30 pm on February 18 at the church, 10585 Farview Drive, North Huntingdon. Former North Versailles police officer Emmit Green will be the guest speaker. Reservations requested before February 14. Reservations: 724-864-1570.
• The Caring Closet at Greensburg Church of the Brethren, 554 Stanton St., is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesdays. Free food, clothing, shoes and more available. Donations of canned food and non-perishable food are welcome. Call the church to arrange a pickup. Details: 724-834-2130.
• The Laurelville Retreat Center will be offering a Backyard Birdwatching Luncheon Program at 12:15 p.m. Feb. 27 at the Center’s Small Dining Room, 941 Laurelville Lane, Mt. Pleasant Township. Learn how to identify common birds, where to find them, and how to attract wild birds to your garden. Alex Busato, president of the Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club, will be the instructor. Cost: $15. Reservations required before February 22. Reservations: Laurelville.org.
• Hecla Community Church, 537 Hecla Road, Mt. Pleasant Township, will host a turkey dinner from 4-7 pm on February 12 at the church. Dine in or take away. Details and takeout orders: 724-396-8065 or 724-244-2586.
• Derry First United Methodist Church will be hosting a Swiss Steak Dinner from 4:30-6 p.m. Feb. 12 at the church, 311 N. Ligonier St. Cost: $12, dine in or takeout. Advance orders accepted. Orders: 724-694-8333, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Thursday.
• The Boro Boys monthly breakfast at Derry First United Methodist Church will be held at 9 am on February 15 at the church, 311 N. Ligonier St. Cost: $7. Reservations required. Reservations: Sandy E., 878-295-2308.
• A Comedy Night benefiting Hospaws in Youngwood will be held at 7 pm on February 18 at the Youngwood Firehouse, 105 S. Second St. Comedians will include Chuck Krieger, Mike Wysocki and Joey Welsh. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Cost: $20, including dinner at 6 p.m. There will be a cash bar and a 50/50. Tickets: 724-787-7304 or for Paypal email [email protected]
• A fundraiser for Debbie Pallitta will be held from noon to 5 pm Feb. 19 at the Latrobe Eagles, 213 Spring St. Sponsored by the Eagles and the Auxiliary, proceeds will help Pallitta pay for her medical expenses. Menu: spaghetti, two meatballs, salad, bread and dessert, $10; under 12, $5. There will be a basket raffle and 50/50 raffles every hour. Tickets: Bev Davis, 724-454-3684 or at the door.
• The Greensburg Coin Club will hold a coin show from 9 am to 1 pm on February 13 at the Circleville Firehall, 129 Robbins Station Road, North Huntingdon.
• Ligonier Valley Writers is accepting entries for its 31st annual student poetry contest. Students in grades 4-12 are welcome. There are nine categories and cash prizes awarded for first, second and third place prizes and best in each age group. The deadline for submission is March 11. Entry forms and contest rules: LVWonline.org or by contacting Judith Gallagher at 724-593-7294 or [email protected]
Submissions from nonprofit organizations for Briefly Speaking can be emailed to [email protected] Include a full address and daytime phone number. Submissions are due at least two weeks prior to the event. Each advertisement is printed once; there are no fees.